KEEP AKRON BEAUTIFUL CLEANUP AT SUMMIT LAKE

 

Today was the big Keep Akron Beautiful Cleanup at Summit Lake.  I was excited to participate, but worried about my hand.  I wasn't sure how much trash I could pick up, but I was going to try my best.

I took Henry & Stella for their morning walk, and at the corner of my street and Beardsley, only three houses away, there was broken glass.  It was the same clear glass that cut Henry's nose.

I took the dogs home and went back and swept it up.

I still don't understand why anyone would break glass on streets and sidewalks.  Luckily, nobody got hurt this time.


I arrived at Summit Lake at 8:00.  It was so nice to see Emma and Jacqui.  Jacqui looked great.  Her maternity leave must have really agreed with her.

I noticed the exit ramp from 76 West to Dart was pretty messy.  I asked if I could go clean that up, and Jacqui said she wouldn't want anyone else to clean it, but I was "seasoned."  So off I went.


There was so much trash!  I filled two Keep Akron Beautiful bags and two of my big 45-gallon bags.
Now it looks so much better . . . but it doesn't just look better, take a look at this!!!
I picked up 82 nails under the overpass!  That's my new record for nails in one day.

I showed them to the police officer that was at the event, and he said, "Yea, that's about right."

So my question is, if people know there are rusty nails where hundreds of thousands of cars are driving each day, why isn't anyone picking them up?  It sure seems like this would be a very high priority.  I know I won't be driving my car that way again.

My nail jar is full.  I've picked up 387 nails, screws and bolts since September 1 of last year.

Today, I picked up 2,209 pieces of trash, so I think 2,000 pieces a day should work for me.  I needed 3,000 a day to reach my one million piece goal, so I won't reach it by the end of summer, unless lots of people join in.  So far, I have two people who picked up trash today and texted me their numbers.

One woman picked up 50 pieces walking her dog, and another woman picked up 103 pieces walking with her husband.

Thank you so much!  That's a wonderful start!
 

Comments

Popular Posts