SO ANTS PREFER STRAWBERRY SODA?

 

After 2 days off, I went back to Thornton & Main where I left off Monday night, dreading the trash tangled in the islands of weeds!

But guess what?  Somebody cleaned it all up!  Amazing!  My friend, Tom, called me today and told me he saw 9 women picking up trash on this corner.  Thank you so much!

I continued walking down Main Street toward the exit ramp from 76, and when I see a can, I hold it until I get back to the sidewalk and then I throw it on the cement and flatten it.  

When I threw this strawberry soda can, a bunch of ants came out.  I picked it up with my trash grabber and threw it again.  Another bunch of ants came out!  I did that at least 20 times and ants came out every time.  How did all those ants fit in that can?

The next can I found, I threw it down, expecting to see more ants.  Not a single one.  I guess ants prefer strawberry!

The exit ramp didn't look that bad, but just beyond the grass, there was so much trash where the wind and rain blows litter thrown from cars.

I only had 27 minutes left of my two hours, so I knew I wouldn't get it all picked up, but I at least wanted to get started.

I got that all cleaned up.  It was beyond disgusting.
Then I saw another area that was so much worse!  Layers of cans and water bottles and sludge.  Really stinky sludge.  Ick!
I didn't get it all cleaned up, but I got enough picked up so it can dry out a little.

These are the areas that the City of Akron needs to focus on.  When people are exiting the freeway and they see garbage like this, they naturally clean out their car.  Who will notice a few more cans and water bottles?

I filled two 45-gallon bags and squished it down as much as I could, and then piled one on top of the other, and look how far I had to walk?  OMG!  I took ten steps and rested, ten more steps and rested.  Anybody driving by would have thought I was nuts.

I raced home and brushed my hair and put all my clothes in the dryer and checked for ticks.  Nothing.  Thank goodness!  My can of tick repellant is working!
 

 

Comments

  1. What a nice surprise other people are helping with the area you clean up! That is awesome 👏 🤗!Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. So happy 9 others are pitching in. Some of those areas are a big mess. Is there a fine for littering? If so, not enforced.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts