BEAUTIFUL EVENING TO PICK UP TRASH!!!

 

What a beautiful evening to pick up trash!  Not too hot, nice breeze, but of course a breeze means chasing potato chip bags and napkins around.

I went to an area that I thought would be a mess after the Memorial Day weekend, and it was not a mess at all.  I picked up everything in the field, and when I got to this playground, a sweet little girl came running over.  "Can I help?"  I told her with a big smile, "Of course you can help!"

So she picked up water bottle caps and popsicle sticks, and then her big sister came over.  She said, "Why are you picking up trash?"  I said, "Because it keeps the playground safe, and it looks so pretty!"  She said, "Do you get paid?"  I said, "Nope."  

I could almost see the wheels going around in her head.  Why would anyone pick up trash and not get paid?   She'll be thinking about that for a while.

Last summer, I picked up over 5,000 pieces of trash in this field.  And today, I picked up a little over 500.  What a difference!

The trend continues.  People are helping!

I found a lot of broken glass, but when the sun is shining, it makes it easier to see.
I finished that whole area and headed up the street.  I found this mess at the end of someone's driveway!  Can you believe this?  Ick!

It was layers and layers of Walmart bags and beer cans, ground into the mud.  I had to pull most of it out with my hands, because my trash grabber couldn't.  

Who knows how long all this has been there.  My guess is the homeowners didn't pick it up, because it was too messy.

It looks so much better now.  Maybe the people who live here will be able to keep it cleaned up now that I did the hard part.

When people are helping me, there's not so much trash, and I can cover a lot of area.  If I have to spend an hour in one spot, it doesn't seem like I get much done.

I picked up 1,917 pieces of trash in two hours.  

It was a very good night.
 

Comments

  1. You,accomplished a lot Debbie. Sweet girl. I bet she will think before she would discard trash. Maybe tell her friends and family. Kindness is catching on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! I love it when children come out to see what you are doing. You are their teacher. Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts