TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEARTFELT POST

 

All my posts are heartfelt, but this one is especially personal.  

I was feeling sad today.  Yesterday, I drove to Perrysville to my grandson's graduation party.  I was blessed to have five wonderful talented sons.  Unfortunately, my oldest son has been mad at me for over 40 years.  Here's why.

He was only 8 years old when I wanted a divorce.  I promised him I would not leave him with his dad.  Then his dad stole my three sons and started a custody battle.  There was nothing I could do.  

Over the years, I have tried everything I know to make it up to him, but he refuses to forgive me.  He thinks I left him.  So I went to the graduation party, and my oldest son talked to me, but he wasn't happy to see me.  It breaks my heart.  I love him so much.

So I went out to pick up trash and started with the exit ramp from Route 8 to Wilbeth Road.  This is the panhandler who sits there day after day.  His name is Roger.  He is my friend.  I clean up around him every week, and he is always so happy to see me.


After that, I headed for the intersection of Wilbeth Road & Virginia.  It looked really bad the last time I drove by.

I park my car by a dumpster, so I can empty my trash bag when I'm done.  Eight or nine little kids came running toward me.  Each one had a little bag of trash to throw in the dumpster.  I helped them, and told them thank you!  I told them my name.

They all left, and five minutes later, each one had something else to throw away.  It was so cute!  One little girl came over to me and looked up.  I didn't know what she wanted.  All of a sudden, she gave me a great big hug!  

I had my trash grabber in one hand and my bucket in the other, and I couldn't really hug her back.  I hoped they would find something else to throw away so I could hug her back.  I really needed that today.

Here's what the grass looked like by their house.


And beside the bushes, I found another BIG knife!

Good grief!  Why?  What if a child had found that?

There was broken glass all over the parking lot, sidewalks and grass.  I started at one end and worked all the way to the other side.  

A young man came up the sidewalk with an itty bitty broom,  He looked at me and said, "Oh my goodness!  I was going to clean up the glass.  I got a flat tire today. You are amazing!  You cleaned it all?"

I told him I got it all cleaned up.

I talked to him for a while, and then a woman told me there was glass all over the sidewalk by her home.  I followed her to the other side, and I cleaned that all up.

She was wonderful to talk to.  And she said she would love to help.

I can't believe I got it all cleaned up.  There was so much.  I felt way better.  All these nice people, all in one day.
I finally made to the intersection of Wilbeth & Virginia, but I picked up over 3,000 pieces before I got there.

I heard a ruckus across the street, and here came a little boy running as hard as he could.  He yelled out, "I WANT TO HELP!"

And he did help!  We picked up over 200 pieces together.  The funny thing, I'm guessing that helping me was the best part of his day.

Everybody wants to help, they just don't know where to start.  I'm leading the way, and so many people are following.

None of the people I met today realized how much I needed their love today. 
 

Comments

  1. This did warm my heart! That son doesn't deserve you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly heartfelt. I'm sorry your son doesn't realize what a wonderful person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your son doesn’t realize too late how much you mean to him. I’m sorry for the loss and sadness you felt but I’m grateful you have something that can bring you joy. Much love for all you do out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he will someday forgive. It hurts the person who won’t forgive Debbie. I hope he lets the pain go away for both of you. Sweet little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should all learn from your inspiration and passion. To me and many others you are a trial blazer. It is really cute how the kids want to help. Great tools to instill in the youngsters. In regards to your eldest son....Forgiveness is a favor he should do for himself. It will set him free. I wish he could understand that your love for him is endless. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all of the knives you have picked up, I am wondering if you are keeping them, to show someday all that you have found. What an impact that might make if you show after a year all the knives laid out that you have found. It is shocking to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You continue to be an inspiration to so many. Sorry to hear the story of your oldest son. Your situation somewhat normalizes the struggles we all have in our day to day lives and also offers insight on how to move forward despite them. Meeting Roger and the sweet little helpers sure does offer perspective and serves all of you well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the sweetest, kindest person ever Debbie. I'm so sorry that he won't forgive you, maybe someday he will. That's what I mean about you, you don't even let that get you down, you push through your pain and are making such a difference! I love to read your stories about the children, you really did need a hug from that little girl, I'm so glad that she was able to lift your spirits. You're teaching those kids something that they might not learn from their parents and you're making such a difference, keep up the great work!! Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's my experience that we are better and healthier if we don't hold onto hate. I lost my brother to an accident but six months before his accident we weren't speaking. We mended our fences before he died and I thank God every day because that would have a pain way too hard to handle. I pray that your son comes around and releases that hate and allows you back into his life. He only has one mom. No one can replace that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts