TRULY, ONE OF THE BEST DAYS OF PICKING UP TRASH YET!

 

I know I say, "Today was the best day yet!" pretty much every day, but that's really how it is.  If you want fun and adventure in your life, pick up trash!  I never know what will happen.

Tonight, the Metro Bus stopped right where I was picking up trash, and the door opened.  It was not a bus stop.  The driver wanted to thank me for all I'm doing to keep our neighborhood clean!  I couldn't believe it!  I know the buses see me, but this is the first one to actually go out of her way to speak to me.

I asked her if I could take her picture and put her on my blog, and she said "Of course," and she waved!  

I loved it!

Tonight was the night of bottles.  I have swept up 1029 piles of broken glass so far, so I'm used to cleaning up broken glass, but have you ever seen such jagged edges?  Wow!  I'd hate to fall on that.

I found this bottle by the grass, so then I searched through the grass for more pieces.

It brought back a childhood memory of when I was only five years old.  We lived in a neighborhood with lots of kids, and in the evening, we played Hide N Seek.  I remember hiding in the grass, and my finger felt cold.  Then I felt pain.  I went crying into the house, and I had a nasty cut from a piece of broken glass.

All these years later, I still have the scar on my pinky finger.  Isn't that funny that I still remember it?

There are so many young children playing in this area.  Many in bare feet. 

I found all these aluminum beer bottles scattered all over this huge field!  And they all had the caps screwed back on!  

Seriously, are they somewhere close by, watching me pick them up?

First I had to walk all over this field and pick them all up.  Then I had to unscrew all the tops.  Then I had to smash them with my foot.  I only have two hours before dark, and I spent way too much time working on this.

I turned the corner at Wilbeth & Virginia, and there was this very delicate bottle perched on the cement wall.  

It was almost lovely.  

Almost like it was waiting for me.

I picked up 1,521 pieces of trash tonight and I was almost back to my car, and I saw a little white Honda, fairly new, drive to the edge of this parking lot.  As you can see, there's a curb, a sidewalk and another curb.

The woman driving had kids in the car, and I could just see by her hesitation that she wasn't sure she should try it, but of course she did.

Her little car made sounds I never heard a car make as the bottom scraped on these curbs.  It was fingernails on a chalkboard to me!

I would never try something like that.

And I think I broke my record for number of coins found in one day!  Look at this!  

Some of these coins have been run over quite a few times.  

Where does all this money come from?  Is it so hot that bending over to pick up a coin that is dropped is out of the question?

I don't know.
 

Comments

  1. It’s Jaimi- I bet the bus driver felt so happy that you enjoyed her and took her picture. I’m glad you picked up the glass bottles to prevent someone else from a cut on their pinky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Debbie with a blog so interesting that it feels like she’s talking to me. Re the metal beer bottles, looking at the photo without enlarging it, they looked like flowers. I had this vision of them being planted into the ground.
    So cool that the lovely bus driver shared the love. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts