TODAY WAS JUST FULL OF SURPRISES!

 

Today was just full of surprises!  Wow!  

I headed for Wilbeth & Arlington, but as usual, never made it that far.  I saw trash by the playground, and it was bad.  I picked up 3,467 pieces of trash today, and there were some moments when I wondered if what I'm doing makes any sense.  The more I pick up, the more people litter.  And what I'm doing is SO HARD.

Look at all the big pieces of plastic covering this grassy area.  Yes, it's a grassy area where children play.  No kids are going to play here when it looks like this.  Ick!

I found a friend.  Everybody was either sleeping or in church this morning, and this kitty cat watched me pick up trash. 
I found so many liquor bottles this morning.  I climbed around in the bushes to pull all these out.  Never saw any bottles like these before.  Sure seems like they could be used for something instead of thrown in the bushes.

Those nasty burdock things are ripe and seemed to be waiting for me to get close enough so they can jump on my clothes!  I hate those things.

So as I'm driving home, super tired and hot, I thought about all the things I did today.

I found three nails, so I prevented flat tires, possibly mine!

I swept up at least a dozen piles of broken glass from the sidewalks and grass, so I prevented nasty cuts on little knees.

I found a bunch of dimes and a little change purse.  How cool is that?  (I disinfected everything when I got home.)

I picked up 3,467 pieces of trash, and if I didn't, it would be two or three times that much in a few weeks.  Now it's all clean, and maybe other people will help keep it clean.  Maybe.  Someday.  Possibly.

I'm never going to stop hoping that I will get help.

I found these little trays all covered with mud.  My guess, they were tossed because they were so dirty.  A little bit of bleach and a brush, and they are good as new.
And I found a watermelon!  A seedless one, no less.

I told my son I found a watermelon, and he said, "How on earth did you find a watermelon that wasn't smashed?"

I told him that somebody probably didn't know how to cut it up, and so it was left in the grass for somebody else.  I put it in my trash can and toted that heavy thing around for two hours.

When I got home, I washed it, and then I cut into it . . . and it is good!

A big fat watermelon like this makes a lot of watermelon!  Goodness!  This is only half of it!

I just googled how to preserve a watermelon, and it will stay good in the refrigerator in airtight containers for 3-5 days, but it can be frozen, so I'll do that.

I hate to waste things.  

I was feeling discouraged, because there was so much trash to pick up today.  I don't feel like I'm keeping up, but maybe I don't have to.  

Maybe I just need to do the best I can every day and hope it makes a difference.

Comments

  1. A whole watermelon. That is unbelievable. God seems to reward you in small ways everyday.
    Keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s funny! A watermelon! Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering for some watermelon . That surely weighed down your load on the way to your car. Well dine, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts